Lower GI virus with pain. Taken norco, suboxone, ambien. What is the diagnosis and suitable treatment?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
10 years ago i had a lower GI virus which left me with pain. i was on norco for years, then suboxone. as i got off norco, i found that ambien, taken even in the daytime, gave me pain relief. so as i was going off one, i got onto another.

i have been taking ambien for years for sleep; no side effects. recently, february, i was on high doses of daytime ambien. i weened sucessfuly down to 1 10mg a day. then i fell back and am now taking 3 a day. i also take trazodone for sleep.

my life is a constant struggle. i am pretty sure that the drugs i've been using for pain control all of these years have been CAUSING the pain. i've been to many doctors without a decent diagnosis. i need to get down to one pill a day, but its tough. any advice is appreciated.

btw, i've had many tests MRIs, CT scans, etc. nothing.
Posted Fri, 6 Jul 2012 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 8 hours later
Chronic pain abdomen with no detectable cause after investigations is mostly psychological in nature.
continued use of pain relieving medications along with alternative therapies such as accupunture may be helpful.
Pain specialists have used low dose tricyclic antidepressants, gabapentins or other anticonvulsants for modifying the intensity of perceived pain. This is also an option available which can be tried. Discuss with your doctors to prescribe the medications if needed
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.