Low vitamin level in blood test. Can I increase my daily intake of vitamin D?

Addiction Medicine Specialist
I take 2,000 I.U's of Vitamin D daily. A blood test shows my level is very low, Can I increase my daily amount?
Posted Fri, 1 Nov 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Preeti Parakh 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Yes, you can increase the daily dose.

Detailed Answer:

Welcome to Healthcare Magic!

The recommended maximum daily intake of vitamin D as per the Institute of Medicine guidelines is 4000 units per day. But research studies have shown that up to 0000 units per day may be safely taken. However one should be careful as excess intake of vitamin D can cause side effects. Excess vitamin D intake may increase the risk of falls or fractures due to calcium loss. Other potential adverse effects include increased risk of urinary tract infections, decreased appetite, weight loss, increased calcium in the blood, increased calcium in the urine, high blood levels of vitamin D, elevated creatinine levels, gastrointestinal complaints, and increased cancer risk.

In my opinion, you can take up to 4000 units per day but hiking up beyond this maybe risky. Once you hike the dose, please also watch for any adverse effects.

I hope this answers your query. Please feel free to ask if you need any clarifications.

Best wishes.

Dr Preeti Parakh
MD Psychiatry