Low sugar problem, diabetic. Heel pain while walking or driving, blood shot eyes, overweight

My father is diabetic. he has low sugar problem. Nowadays his heels pain a lot while walking or driving. Even his eyes become blood shot lots of time and clears up after a few days. we had shown it to eye docters but they said it might be infection.nothing much to worry about. he is overweight 100 kgs height 5'11
Posted Sat, 7 Jul 2012 in Diabetes
Answered by Dr. Pragnesh Vachharajani 2 hours later

I can understand your concern for your father.

Having pain in heel is very common diabetics. I hope you have consulted doctor for this. In diabetics due to high sugar the nerves dries up and lead to this kind of pain due to high sugar since long.

Normally response to treatment and relief both depends lot on control of blood sugar. If the sugar controls us good then he will respond in better way to treatment.

Please try following which should help.

>Ask him to avoid walking barefoot. Make him wear slipper or shoes with soft insole even inside the house.
>Ask him to take contrast bath. That is he need immerse his foot alternatively in cold and warm water for one minute, 5minute in a day. Make sure he checks the temperature of hot water with his hand before putting his feet in to avoid damage to the skin.
>Give analgesics for pain as per advice from your doctor.
>Continue with drugs already given.

As written earlier to have good control of blood sugar is of foremost importance. Please keep regular follow up with your doctor.

He is also over weight .You need to have proper diet routine and exercise schedule for him, please take help from a dietician to have proper diet planning and make him follow it. Apart from this regular exercise like walking etc is must.
As far as eye problem is concerned it may be due to allergy to something. You have already consulted eye specialist so there is no need to worry about this.

I hope this helps and clarify your concern.

Please write again if you have something more to ask.

In case you do not have further query, please accept the answer.

Wishing him good health.

Follow-up: Low sugar problem, diabetic. Heel pain while walking or driving, blood shot eyes, overweight 42 minutes later
Thank u so much. Do you know of a good diebitic doctor in Chembur, Mumbai who you can please refer.
Answered by Dr. Pragnesh Vachharajani 5 hours later
Dear Good to hear from you again.

I am sorry I do not have any idea about diabetologist in your area.But mumbai is a big city and there are very good leading doctors for diabetes are there like Dr XXXXXXX XXXXXXX

Still I have got my colleague practicing in chumbur,who is a family physician,he can definitely help you in finding one.

Dr XXXXXXX Thakkar
Shop No 1 Ground Floor XXXXXXX Bldg, Next To Hotel Yogi XXXXXXX Garden, XXXXXXX Trombay Rd, Chembur East, Mumbai - 0000 | View Map

Call: +(91)-(22)-0000

I hope this helps.