Low sodium, high liver enzymes, ear infections, overweight, psychotropic medicines, high cholesterol

I am a 34 year old male, I was in the hospital for low sodium level and high liver enzymes, recent bloodwork total cholesterol 242H, T4 Free .7L, TSH 3rd gen 1.34, I do BP medicine as well as various psychotropic medicines, I have gotten 2 ear infections over past 3 months, and overweight 5'8" 205 lbs, more in mid section and face. Any suggestions
Posted Sun, 15 Apr 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 25 minutes later

Your blood investigation shows that you have a Borderline high cholesterol, Hypertension, had raised liver enzymes with recurrent ear infections in the recent past.

You need to get a glucose tolerance test done to rule out diabetes. Since you are having recurrent ear infections, raised blood glucose levels might be a cause.

Weight control with the help of diet control and exercise specially aerobics will not only help in reducing the weight but will also reduce the cholesterol levels back to normal.

To increase your HDL you can start exercising regularly, stop alcohol and smoking, if you are doing so.

To decrease the LDL levels-
1. reduce saturated fat intake
2.     Maintain good body composition
3.     Increase dietary fiber

Reducing your weight will also help in reducing the chances of development of any other hormonal disorders like thyroid problems.

I hope my answer and recommendations are adequate and helpful.

Waiting for your further follow up queries if any.

Follow-up: Low sodium, high liver enzymes, ear infections, overweight, psychotropic medicines, high cholesterol 1 hour later
my glucose fasting was 93 mg/dl
should I be concerned about the T4 level?
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 7 minutes later

Thanks again for the query.

Your T4 levels are just marginally decreased with normal TSH levels. This is nothing to be worried about.

As long as T3 levels are normal, there is no need of treatment.

Your fasting glucose levels are normal but glucose tolerance test is considered more diagnostic.

It is better to go for a GTT(Glucose Tolerance test).

Hope I have answered your query.

Wishing you an early recovery.