Low sex life, rapid heart beat, breathlessness, back pain, knee pain, lumbar region pain, headaches, anxiety, over work

Hi, I'm a male, 26 years old I weight 198 bounds and I am 5'9. My problem is that after sex, I have a very rapid heart rate and shortness of breath. I no longer feel like having sex with my wife because of the back pain, knee pain because of some sexual positions, and also because I find it to be a distraction.
I have a lot of back pain in the lumbar region, headaches, and if it is relevant, I feel like my bones are weak; I recently broke a finger playing basket ball (the ball hit my finger).
I do have anxiety issues, more feeling like I am failing in life and not doing as much as I wanted to have done by now. I also work twelve hour shifts three days a week at clinic.

Thank you so much and I hope you can help
Posted Sun, 6 May 2012 in Sexual Problems
Answered by Dr. Ashish Mittal 1 hour later

Important points of your query:
1.     Presence of pre existing anxiety problem.
2.     Rapid heart rate and shortness of breath after sexual activity.
3.     Multiple pain complaints.
4.     Depressive thoughts like: I am failing in life and not doing as much as I wanted to have done by now

Rapid heart rate and shortness of breath after sexual activity can occur most commonly in anxiety disorder and cardiac illness. But if we take whole clinical picture in consideration anxiety disorder most probable diagnosis in your case as it will explain most of your symptoms.

I am giving list of common anxiety symptoms which will help you to understand your condition: anxiety or fear of unknown, excessive worry related to health & family, restlessness, tremors, multiple pain complaints (somatic symptoms), palpitation, excessive perspiration, difficulty in sleep induction and shortness of breath.

So take consultation from psychiatrist and primary physician by an appointment so that they can work together to understand your problem and treat you.

Hope this will help you. Wish you Good Health