Low rectal temperature, vomit. Normal?

my 23 month old threw up once after he was in bed i immiediatly checked his temp expecting a fever (my baby rarley throws up) but his temp was low it was 96.4 his normal is usually around 98.4-98.7 and i took it in the rectum. Should I be worried?
Posted Sat, 21 Apr 2012 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 1 hour later

Normal rectal temperature is 100.2 degrees Fahrenheit or less (37.9 degrees Celsius or less). Temperature of 96.4 degree C is slightly less than his normal body temperature but it can occur if the surroundings in the room are cold.

Dress child warmly including a cap and put him to bed, covered with a warm blanket or a pre warmed blanket. It is important to focus first on warming the central portion of the body and your own body heat can also help. So lie down in the same blanket along with your baby. Don't rub or massage his skin, as this can cause the blood vessels to widen and decrease the body's ability to retain heat.

Also check his body temperature after every hour. If his body temperature drops to 95 degree C then you need to consult his pediatrician immediately.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.