Low pulse rate and diabetic. What should be done in the given situation?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
my father (age 64 yr.) having low pulse rate 56 to 66 and BP 121/66 He is also suffering frm diabeties
Posted Tue, 22 May 2012 in Men's Health
Answered by Dr. Aashish Raghu 44 minutes later

Does your father have any heart problem ?

Does he have chest pain, giddiness, shortness of breath, swelling of feet ?

Normal heart rate lies between 60-100 per minutes. If it goes lower than 60 it is called bradycardia and higher than 100 is called tachycardia. Also, as the person ages, the heart rate tends to slow down, so nothing to worry much.

Being a diabetic he may not be able to feel chest pain like others even if he has a heart attack so it is more XXXXXXX as he will not get much symptoms even if his heart is being damaged.

Hence, just to be safe, it is recommended to get an ECG for him, get his Blood pressure recorded regularly, kidney function tests as well.

Get his ECG read by a leading Cardiologist t rule out any heart problem because diabetic patients usually have accelerated atherosclerosis and higher chance of heart attacks.

Keep his blood sugar under control. Avoid high carbohydrate meals, fatty food or junk food. Avoid smoking and alcohol. Let him have a balanced diet with plenty of fresh fruits and XXXXXXX leafy vegetables. Keep ell hydrated. Exercise moderately daily.

I hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer your follow up queries.

Wishing good health.