Low platelet count, low RBC, cough, fanconi anemia ?

hello doctor my brother is ill he had low platlet count low rbc and low wbc he was sick when he was diagnosed that time was dengue season we doctor thought that it was dengue now after 3 months he has cough and we also consulted with a doctor which said that he has fanco anemia but he just looked at one test and that was his blood tes cpc and also he did not had the other tests which were necassary for fanco anemia can you tell me what it can be what should we do.
Posted Wed, 11 Apr 2012 in Genetics
Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 1 hour later

Thanks for posting your query. I can understand your concern for your brother. It is true that Fanconi’s anemia is a probable diagnosis because in Fanconi’s anemia which is an autosomal recessive genetic disorder there is decrease in number of white blood cells, red blood cells, and platelets. But a mere CBC (complete blood count) cannot confirm the diagnosis and it is important to rule out pancytopenia as well.

Pancytopenia is another medical condition in which there is a reduction in the number of red and white blood cells, as well as platelets. It can be caused by many causes like aplastic anemia, leukemia, myelodysplastic syndrome, severe Folate or hematologist for your brother and get a bone marrow biopsy done at the earliest. Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.