Low platelet count in CBC report. Smoking addiction. Do not want to go for bone marrow test. Any home remedy?

I had a CBC 2 months backs everything was normal..but platelet count was 85k, then 2 weeks later i did the test again now it was 95k, i did the test last week again nw its 115k. i have been a smoker for a long time. im 30 yrs old..
I dont feel any symptoms like weakness etc. i am perfectly fit also i dont want to go for bone marrow tests and all. pls suggest me some home remedies to improve my platelet count
Posted Tue, 8 May 2012 in Blood Disorders
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 12 hours later
Hello and thanks for the query.

Your question is a good one and I will work on providing you with some good information and recommendations regarding what is going on.

There is no particular food or supplement that is well known to stimulate production of platelets. In general, a well balanced diet with adequate proteins, carbohydrates, fat and vitamins.

The most common cause of a drop in the platelet count only is an entity called ITP or immune thrombocytopenic purpura. This is mediated by the immune system and can sometimes cause a platelet count to drop to below 10. This is treated with medication in many cases.

Otherwise if you drink alcohol you need to completely discontinue consumption of alcoholic beverages as this can also depress your platelet count.

As long as your red and white blood cell counts are normal this can be monitored typically with a recheck of the count again in 4 weeks. The good news for you is that your count has improved by 25% over the last 3 visits for blood testing.

So I would recommend a followup CBC in 4 weeks, continued good diet and exercise and absitinence from alcohol.

Thanks again for the query. I hope you found my response to be helpful and informative. If you have any additional followups please let me know, otherwise please accept my answer.

Dr. Robert