Low lymphocyte count, pregnant

Orthopaedic Surgeon
I had bloods done and I have a low lymphocyte count 1.0 I was twelve weeks pregnant at the time , all others are normal
Posted Tue, 22 May 2012 in Blood Disorders
Answered by Dr. Aashish Raghu 17 minutes later
Hi there.

Have you experienced fatigue, chronic cough, bone pain, recent weight loss, flu-like symptoms recently ?

Are you on any medication ?

Usually isolated low lymphocyte count is not clinically significant unless you have any of the above mentioned clinical features.

Diseases with low lymphocyte count could range from steroid therapy, immuno-suppressive drug therapy, AIDS, viral or fungal infections etc.

Nothing to worry for now. Do get tested for AIDS, Hepatitis, just to be safe and rule out common causes of low lymphocyte count.

Go for regular Antenatal checkups, take the required vitamins for your health, consume a balanced diet. Avoid coffee and other stimulants during pregnancy. Keep well hydrated.

I hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer your follow up queries.

Follow-up: Low lymphocyte count, pregnant 7 hours later
I have had no other symptoms and HIV neg and hepatitis neg, could it be caused by being over work and poor diet.
Answered by Dr. Aashish Raghu 6 hours later
Hi there.

Thanks for your reply.

Yes. Stress can definitely lower the strength of the immune system and cause low lymphocyte count. This value is generally not clinically significant as it is just an isolated lowering of a single blood cell count.

Do consume a balanced diet. Keep well hydrated. Get 6-8 hours of sleep daily. Exercise moderately everyday. Do Yoga for stress relief.

You may repeat your blood count after a month to look for any changes in the counts.

Wishing you good health and a healthy pregnancy.