Low hemoglobin, low platelet counts. US of kidneys, MRI and MRA done. Advised bone marrow biopsy. Reason?

My husband has high hemoglobin and low platelette counts they did 6 different blood panels ultra sound kidneys and MRI and MRA what's this mean all doc is saying is next is bone marrow biopsy
Posted Tue, 21 May 2013 in Blood Disorders
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 7 hours later
Hello and thank you for sending your question. Your question is a very good one and I will work on providing you with some information and recommendations. There are several different possibilities in this case. It sounds like your doctors have been doing appropriate imaging and laboratory studies to try to find out why the hemoglobin level is elevated. They will he want to find out if there is something in the body that is generating extra red blood cells such as a tumor in the kidneys which can secrete blood producing hormones. I assume that this testing so far has been negative.

The other area which needs to be examined is the bone marrow. I agree that a bone marrow biopsy might be indicated to see if there some type of primary bone marrow disorder which could be causing an elevation of the hemoglobin and a decrease in the platelet count.

A bone marrow biopsy is a procedure that the hematologist can perform. A pathologist will then look at the bone marrow biopsy carefully under the microscope to give the hematologist a good idea of what might because your problem. The hematologist can then formulate a plan of appropriate follow-up and treatment if the treatment is indicated.

Thanks again for sending your question. Please let me know if you have any additional specific concerns.

Dr. Galamaga