Low hemoglobin, iron deficiency improved after treatment, have started oral medicine now. Do you suggest special consultancy?

i, opg suffering hemoglobin which oftenly drop. Last time found Iron deficiency and improved after treatment. After discontinuing tablets for more than 1 year again found now dropped 7.9 and also drop in Iron. Started oral medicine for Iron. Do you suggest any special consultancy for this.
Posted Tue, 24 Apr 2012 in Blood Disorders
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 53 minutes later

Recurrent iron deficiency anemia which improves after treatment could be due to either constant iron loss from the body in the from of bleeding, intestinal worm infestation, poor nutritional intake, etc or due to poor synthesis of hemoglobin in the body due to bone marrow suppression.

Detailed investigations like blood and stool tests with bone marrow aspiration are needed to find out the cause and further treatment.

Here I would suggest you to have a high protein diet along with iron therapy that you are taking for a better response.

I really think that you should proceed for an evaluation at your hematologist's office. This will help rule out any worrisome problem which could cause you a significant degree of detriment.

Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.

Follow-up: Low hemoglobin, iron deficiency improved after treatment, have started oral medicine now. Do you suggest special consultancy? 3 hours later
Thank you for your report. Pl. note there is no blood loss in stool. Have you pl. seen my report sent to you specially for CARCONIED TUMOR IN DOUDENUM D1 & D2 WHICH WAS REMOVED BY ARGON PLASMA COAGULATION ON 14.04.2006. ALSO I DO HAVE HITUS HARNIA OF SLIDING TYPE WHICH WAS FOUND SOME TIME BACK OF 22 YEARS.

Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 3 hours later

Thanks for writing again.

Unfortunately, there are no reports attached with the query. You can use the space provided on the right side of the query to attach your reports.

Hiatus hernia does not affect iron absorption much.

After removal of Carcinoid Tumor, the chemotherapeutic drugs might be responsible for the bone marrow suppression and repeated Anemia.

Worm infestation is easily curable with medicines.

Bone marrow suppression can be avoided by avoiding exposure to the precipitating factors. You need to get yourself investigated before coming to any conclusions.

Hope my answer is helpful. Write back if you have further queries.

Wishing you a trouble free speedy recovery.