Low heart rate with elevated blood pressure. Having fibromyalgia. Taking Inderal for migraine. Anything to be worried?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
I have had my Bp taken and it's 155/75 heart rate 58. I am 42 with fibromyalgia. Take Inderal 40 for migraine. Should I be concerned
Posted Tue, 8 May 2012 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 1 hour later
I would like to reassure you that there is nothing that you need to be worried about at present. While the normal blood pressure is usually around 120/80mmHg, your blood pressure of 155/75mmHg (considering this is a single elevated reading) cannot be labelled as hypertension. To label it as hypertension, we would need to have consistently high readings which have been measured repeatedly over a period of few months.
Further, a heart rate of 58 can be expected given that you have been receiving Inderal (which is a beta blocker which is known to reduce the heart rate). However, an electrocardiogram would also help us rule out any other condition.
Before coming to any conclusions it is advisable to note a few points first.

a.     Generally, the blood pressure is measured with the arm resting at the level of the heart. The person should have been resting for atleast 5 minutes in sitting position with feet on the floor. No stimulant like smoking, alcohol, caffeine and colas should be consumed since 30 minutes as well. Also the blood pressure measurement needs to be repeated a few times during the day to confirm validity of the reading.
b.     However, if the readings are high repeatedly, then some lifestyle modifications would need to be done to bring these readings in the normal range. The following modifications are needed:
a.     Decrease your salt intake to less than 1 tsp a day
b.     Eat plenty of fresh fruits and XXXXXXX leafy vegetables
c.     Exercise daily ( you can walk/jog/skip/swim, whatever you prefer) for 50 minutes
d.     Yoga, Pranayam and meditation help relieve stress
e.     Avoid junk food
c.     If the blood pressure is not controlled by the diet and exercise modification for a few weeks, you may need anti-hypertensive drugs. Half the battle involves diet and exercise modification which will be of great benefit in your case.
d.     I would suggest that you consult your physician for repeated evaluation of your blood pressure and investigations like an Electrocardiogram (ECG) and kidney function tests.

I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.