Low haemoglobin count. Taking raricap. Craving for icecubes. Is it related, treatment, advise?

My Haemoglobin count is 7. I am taking Raricap tablet everyday as prescribed by the doctor. What else can e done to improve my hb count? I have a craving for eating ice cubes. Is that related to the low hb count?
Posted Wed, 23 May 2012 in Blood Disorders
Answered by Dr. Taher Kagalwala 1 hour later
Thanks for writing in.
Hemoglobin is made up of not just iron but protein chains too. To improve the hemoglobin, you first need to ascertain that you have only nutritional deficiency and no other underlying problem and no excessive blood loss, for example, through menstruation. A complete blood count with a peripheral smear would be an investigation which can help us ascertain the cause of anemia.

Once it is determined that you have nutritional deficiency, it is also needed to know if it is just iron deficiency or are there other nutrients that are deficient too. To have a good formation of Hemoglobin, you need iron, protein, Vitamins like Folate and B 12, Zinc, Vitamin C and so on. Generally, with oral iron, your haemoglobin can be expected to increase by 1g/dL per month. So if the increase is less than this, we need to look for other causes as well. Thus, you need to see a doctor to get a prescription for all the other nutrients as well.
Apart from taking your treatment, eat lots of pulses, legumes, XXXXXXX leafy vegetables, fish, lamb, chicken meat, dates, prunes, citrus fruit juices (with your iron tablets), and a protein-rich but well-balanced diet.

Your fetish for ice cubes could be related to iron deficiency, as many patients with iron deficiency develop a craving for strange foods.

I hope that answers your query.

Dr. Taher