Low grade fever with arthritis. Having pain in both shoulders and hip joints. Treatment?

Is low grade fever common with arthritis? I've been having a lot of pain in both shoulders and hip joints and fever around 100 several times a day for more than a month now. I'm a 56 yo woman.
Posted Sat, 7 Sep 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Johny Chacko 1 hour later

Thanks for writing here.

It depends on the type of arthritis. Arthritis associated with conditions like infections (viral fever, Tuberculosis, Lyme's disease), autoimmune diseases like SLE, Rheumatoid arthritis, Inflammatory bowel disease, gout can present with mild fever and joint pains.

Because you have been having it for a month , the chance of viral arthritis is less. In view of history of ileitis and diverticulitis I feel that your arthritis could be auto immune. I will recommend you to see a Rheumatologist for further work up and management.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any clarifications I will be happy to help.

Wish you good health