Low grade fever, wisdom tooth extraction. Taking amoxicillin medication, itching all over body. Side effects of medication?

My dentist gave me a prescription for amoxicillin for a low grade fever that developed following a wisdom tooth extraction. I've never been sensitive to it before, but I've noticed that I have been getting generalized low to moderate itching from all over my body. There's no rash that I can see, and as I said, I've never had this before. Can you develop a late sensitivity to amoxicillin, and is this dangerous? I was planning on talking to my dentist early next week, but it's the weekend now. Should I stop taking it?

Posted Thu, 26 Apr 2012 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Mohammed Tauseef 2 hours later

Thank you for posting your query.

I would recommend that you discontinue Amoxicillin till you XXXXXXX your dentist next week.

Amoxicillin, is a semisynthetic aminopenicillin and your history is suggestive of a condition called delayed onset T cell-mediated immune reaction which is seen in a small percentage of patients. You need a detailed evaluation by an Allergologist who after a meticulous physical assessment will advise you to get a few immunohistological tests done like, amoxicillin prick, patch, and intradermal tests.

Once it is proved that you are allergic to penicillins, your medical history will contain a phrase saying that “you are allergic to penicillins” . This, you would need to note and mention to all physicians you see in the future. Patients who are allergic to penicillin may have an anaphylactic reaction if exposed to penicillin.

Hope this answers your query. Please accept my answer if you have no follow-up queries.

Good Luck.