Low globulin level. Done with blood test, called a protein electrophoresis. What does it indicate?

I have been asked by my Doctor to have a blood test, called a protein electrophoresis as he has found my globulin level is 1.9 should be between 2.0 - 3.8. What does this mean/
Posted Fri, 17 May 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 2 hours later
Hello and welcome to XXXXXXX

Thank you for writing to us.

Globulin's are proteins present in the body. There are more than 50-60 proteins that are all collectively called globulin's.

It appears as though your globulin level is slightly below the normal range. The reason why your doctor has requested you to get a protein electrophoresis done is because he/she would like to confirm/rule out a low globulin level. Protein electrophoresis is a highly sensitive test that can analyse these globulin's in your blood.

It is indeed early to speak, but a low globulin level can indicate serious health conditions like: acute hemolytic anemia, liver or kidney disorders, bowel disorders, celiac disease, hypogammaglobulinemia or agammaglobulinemia.

Please go ahead with the test, as this is more accurate and will rule out/confirm your globulin levels.

If you have more clarifications, write back and I would be glad to assist you. If I have succeeded in answering your queries, you could close this discussion and rate the answer.

Best wishes.