Low dose propranolol, ACE inhibitor, bruised rib. Recommend medication?

I take low dose propranolol *10mgs daily. What pain relievers can be taken with this ACE inhibitor for just one or two doses.?( Not on a continiuing basis)
The pain is from a bruised rib almost a year ago which has suddenly returned.
Posted Mon, 16 Apr 2012 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Kiran Kumar 21 minutes later
Thanks for the query,

I wish to state that Propranolol which you have been taking is a beta-blocker. You have mentioned that you have a bruised rib and want to take a pain reliever.

You can take either paracetamol or a combination of paracetamol + Ibuprofen for your pain.

Such medications can be taken safely in combination of propranolol.

Hope this answers your query.

Please get back if you need any further information

Thanks and Regards

Dr Kiran

Follow-up: Low dose propranolol, ACE inhibitor, bruised rib. Recommend medication? 1 hour later
Yes, I already stated in my query that propranolol is a beta-blocker ie: an ACE inhibitor. The REASON I asked the question is that there are specific warnings against taking ibuprofen and other NSAIDS with beta-blockers.
Is paracetamol the same as what we in the US refer to as acetominofen?
Answered by Dr. Kiran Kumar 9 hours later

Right. Paracetamol is same as Acetaminophen.
Also, you can safely take Ibuprofen with propranolol. There is theoretical possibility that the effect of propranolol might be reduced.
However, its not going to be so if you take ibuprofen for a short duration. However, clinically we do not come across any variation in BP control in such patients.

Hope this answers your query.

Thanks and Regards

Dr Kiran