Low cortisol level and took steroid medication. Took prednisone. Done with lab test. What are the findings from the report?

Question
Hi, i'm born 1945... I had low cortisol level because in the past i took steroid medicine awfully, my endo first give me prednisone 5mg at 8 in the morning and 2.5mg at night for 2 months then i got checked again n my cortisol level started to increased then he decreased my dose to only 5mg at 8 morning (this already last for 1 months) and next wednesday i'm going to XXXXXXX my doctor again but i got lab tested as i attached. Can you tell me how was the result?(i used to had hsv2 before and hepatitis b but my hbsag negatif and my anti hbs already exist) . Thanks
Posted Wed, 23 Oct 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects

Answered by Dr. Ram Choudhary 43 hours later
Brief Answer:
slow tapering is right strategy

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXX,
Welcome to health care magic. Gone through the reports.
Our body produces corticosteroid as required, from the hypothalamic-pituitary-adrenal system.
During the periods of stress the output of steroids is more and when we are resting the output is less.
Steroids can be given externally by intravenous method or by oral replacement method for various disease conditions.
When treatment with steroid is started for some disease the XXXXXXX production of steroids is decreased to significant levels.
If steroids are given for prolonged periods for the treatment then the adrenal cortex gets atrophied.
In clinical scenario like yours the steroids should be tapered off very slowly.
I think your clinician is wise person in reducing in that graded manner.
During tapering of steroids you should keep a watch on your BP and should be measured every day a decreased BP and low blood sugars are indicative of a bit rapid tapering and in that case you should go slow till the adrenals adjust to produce enough steroid.
If no issues with these parameters then tapering is okay to be continued.
You have posted CBC report of blood which is normal but is not sufficient to tell the adrenal health.
You should get 6AM serum levels of cortisol to get exact idea of the adrenal function.
I hope the advise will be helpful for you.

Follow-up: Low cortisol level and took steroid medication. Took prednisone. Done with lab test. What are the findings from the report? 47 minutes later
Sorry what is bp? And can you please explain my lab test as i see some exceed or below the standard parameter, thanks doc

Answered by Dr. Ram Choudhary 2 days later
Brief Answer:
reports as per expectation carry on steroid taper

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXX,
Welcome back to XXXXXXX
BP is commonly used short form for Blood Pressure level.
The reports you have uploaded are the Complete blood counts, kidney function, liver function, sugar and coagulation parameters.
The values are slightly varying but are not significant for any practical purpose.
Some changes are due to prolonged disease state and corticosteroid treatment like high Eosinophil and MCHC values.
But they are not unexpected.
You should follow the advice suggested previously irrespective of these report values.
Slow tapering of the steroid in the supervision of the physician should be continued till safe.

Follow-up: Low cortisol level and took steroid medication. Took prednisone. Done with lab test. What are the findings from the report? 12 minutes later
Sorry doc, another question, so my lab result showed any disease i currently have or in the past? And what are they?. Regarding monosit- eosinophil n so on. Thanks

Brief Answer:
Effect of steroid treatment on CBC

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXX,
Welcome back.
As i have indicated earlier you can consider the report as normal in view of the steroid treatment that kind of Eosinophils and monocyte variations are expected.
These reports are very nonspecific to indicate a particular disease by themselves.
You can carry on the tapering of steroid as per previous answer/advice.
I hope that answers your query.