Low body temperature. Have hypothyroidism. How to get the temperature back to normal?

Question
Hi my name is XXXXXXX My throid is hypo and my temp is always low 96.4- 97.8....what can I do to get my temp back to normal?
Posted Sun, 22 Apr 2012 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems

Answered by Dr. Mohammed Tauseef 49 minutes later
Hi XXXXXXX

Thank you for the query.

I would like to know few more things which would help me in suggesting you better:

1.) Do you get shivering?
2.) Do you have slow or shallow breathing?
3.) Do you get fatigued easily?

Your history suggests you are suffering from lowered body temperature as is commonly seen in hypothyroidism. An average Hypothermia.

Not to worry, your condition seems to be fine and get yourself examined by a Endocrinologist so that he/she may evaluate you further and also check you rectal temperature.

Follow these lifestyle modifications:

1.) Drink plenty of water.
2.) Wear a hat or other protective covering to prevent the body heat from escaping from your head, face, neck. Cover your hands with mittens instead of gloves. They are more effective than gloves because they keep your fingers in closer contact with one another.
3.) Avoid overexertion.
4.) Wear loosefitting, layered, lightweight wollen or silk clothing.
5.) Keep yourself dry always.
6.) Take your thyroid medications regularly as directed by your Doctor, and go for regular follow up.
7.) Whenever you travel by car alone, let other people know where you are headed and always keep blankets, Good Health.

Take Care.

Dr. Mohammed Tauseef.

Follow-up: Low body temperature. Have hypothyroidism. How to get the temperature back to normal? 47 minutes later
I do get fatigued easy....I have been using iodine suppelment and I feel sooo much better when i use it. Is there a way to control your body temp??? I have gained 15 pounds in the last 6 months. I workout 5 days a week .I walk 5-6 miles a day and weights every other day. I need to get my temp back to normal. How do i do this

Answered by Dr. Mohammed Tauseef 1 hour later
Hi XXXXXXX

Thank you for writing back to me.

I can understand your concern, The weight gain and lowered body temperature is due to hypothyroidism. Once you start taking medicines for the same, your take it for a long period.

Just follow the advice which I have given, eat healthy nutritious balanced diet which should include fresh fruits and XXXXXXX leafy vegetables, drink plenty of water, this will increase your blood circulation, stick to your treatment plan and go for regular follow up.

Wishing you Best of health once again,

Take Care.

Dr. Mohammed Tauseef.