Low blood sodium, taking cozaar for hypertension. How to raise sodium level?

Two weeks ago at my last checkup my blood sodium was 128. It had alaready been low at 131 in December. My doctor took me off the triam/hctz that I had been taking with my cozaar for hypertension. I'm worried about the sodium problem getting worse and I know my BP has risen (maybe from the anxiety over the sodium) or the lack of triam/hctz. I just moved and need to find a new dr. How soon should I have the sodium rechecked and is there anything I can do in eating/drinking to raise the sodium? I am 70, female and use the treadmill or swim every other day. I have been limiting my carbs to loose weight and between that and the exercise have lost 15 lbs.
Posted Wed, 11 Apr 2012 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Rhea Chanda 2 hours later
While your sodium is a bit lower than the normal range in adults,its not so low that you may be facing any symptoms.Keeping your sodium in the range of 130-140 would be advisable.The normal range is 135-145.However,since high sodium and hypertension are directly co related its advisable to keep yourself on a salt restricted diet.If your bp has rise,its possibly due to anxiety.Because high sodium causes hypertension.Plus you are losing a lot of water from the body due to your wt loss regimen causing more depletion of sodium.There isnt anything to worry about right now,in terms of the sodium.If you are concerned then increase your slat intake slightly or have a electrolyte based drink during your work outs.But at the same time,monitor your bp.You can review your sodium levels after a couple of months.