Low blood pressure readings, taking BP medication. Is 105 over 55 too low?

Cardiologist
Question
I am a 37 yr old man on bp medication ( have been for 18 years). I work out on most days ( run / weights / or surf). Recently my bp readings at home have been lower. Sometimes around 105 over 55. Is this too low? My diastolic has been low for a while ( it tends to be between 50 and 70) but my systolic still sometimes spikes (up to 145 if I am anxious). Should I be concerned about low diastolic readings? I haven't had too much dizziness, but I want to make sure I'm not on too much meds.
Thanks for your advice
Posted Tue, 2 Oct 2012 in Hypertension and Heart Disease

Answered by Dr. Anil Grover 1 hour later
Hi XXXXXXX
Thanks for writing in.
I am a qualified and certified cardiologist. I read your mail with diligence.
Are you sure that you do not have leakage of aortic valve that is aortic regurgitation with bicuspid valve? Because that can produce really low Blood Pressure. I will not worry about an occasional spike in systolic to 145 or low diastolic. I suggest you continue with same medicines but do let me know your latest echocardiographic findings and what medicines you are taking so that I can suggest line of follow up and change if any. If you have any other query I will be most happy to answer. Good Luck.

With best wishes.
Dr Anil Grover,
Cardiologist
M.B.;B.S, M.D. (Internal Medicine) D.M.(Cardiology)
http://www/ WWW.WWWW.WW

Follow-up: Low blood pressure readings, taking BP medication. Is 105 over 55 too low? 15 minutes later
All of my recent echos ( I get them annually) have been normal apart from BAV. The regurgitation has been "trace XXXXXXX My primary care doc can't even hear a murmur most of the time. Would this suggest that the problem (if it is a problem) is not from BAV?
SOmetimes I worry that my pulse pressure is too wide, however. My avg bp is probably around 120/60.
thanks
Follow-up: Low blood pressure readings, taking BP medication. Is 105 over 55 too low? 1 hour later
thanks

Answered by Dr. Anil Grover 2 hours later
Thanks for writing back, XXXXXXX

American Society of Echocardiography does not recognise trace (where a murmur can not be heard) of Doppler regurgitation as of any significance. So, no problem now. I am adding a rider should it become mild or further in later year it may have some significance.

Therefore, as far as Aortic Valve is concerned you are born with 2 cusps instead of three so has 0.05% of other population who never get it confirmed by echo and live happily their full life so should you. Good Luck.

Having wide pulse pressure is another aberration in you not a disease. Not even a cause of concern in absence of any other finding in your cardiovascular system which has been thoroughly examined by a doctor. Therefore, stop worrying please.

I appreciate your writing to me.

With Best Wishes

Dr Anil Grover