Low blood pressure and low heart rate, suggested pace maker

my 77 year old friend not feeling to well. B/p 101/58 with 42 heartrate. Normally is running low but this seems to be way off. Has been told about 4 yrs ago. he could need a pacemaker. Are these numbers cause for concern?
Posted Thu, 12 Apr 2012 in Heart Rate and Rhythm Disorders
Answered by Dr. Sujeet N Charugulla 22 minutes later
Hello and thanks for your query.

I shall make an effort to provide you with good professional recommendations specific to your questions.

I realize your friend's Blood Pressure of 101/58 and 42 beats per minute heart rate has got you concerned.

Well, for that it obviously is below the 120/80 normal XXXXXXX and 60 for heart rate. So that qualifies for hypotension and bradycardia both.

These would not mean anything in itself, as they can be normally present in individuals. Now, the background history moreover is hypothyroidism - which means a lower basal metabolic rate. So can contribute to this.

And if he also is arrhythmic, then that would mean something, and hence your doctor may have suggested a pacemaker. Now, you should know that a pacemaker does not pace/fasten the heart - but makes it rhythmic so that normalcy is restored. Well, the pacemaker does fasten obviously when the rate is slow as in your friend.

Yes, it is a cause of concern and your friend would need some attention medically. Maybe the time for the pacemaker has set in.

Yet again, I duly appreciate your query to me, I do hope that you have found something useful to help you and I shall be glad to answer any further apprehensions.