Low blood platelet count, autoimmune disease, bone marrow, spontaneous bleeding

my daughter is suffering from low blood platelet count and its about 0000 only and she is 24 years old .. Is there any treatment.. In india to save her?
Age 24
Sex female
Height 5'4''
Weight 50 kg
Posted Sat, 14 Apr 2012 in Blood Disorders
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 2 hours later

Thanks for your query,

This is really dependent on what is the cause for the low platelet count. Sometimes there are autoimmune processes which can lower the platelet count. Infectious causes or problems with the bone marrow can also lead to suppression of the normal platelet count.

We generally recognize a platelet count of 0000 or higher to make a patient safe from developing any spontaneous bleeding. I must ask you some more history if you are able to provide this. Was she provided with a diagnosis such as Immune Thrombocytopenic Purpura or Thrombotic Thrombocytopenic Purpura or autoimmune thrombocytopenia? Other than blood counts has she had any additional tests done?

I thank you for your query and hope you can understand that I'd like additional history and lab findings in order to help you understand what is going on and what treatment options might be available. I am available for your followups as well.