Low blood count, no occult bleeding, mid range MCV, done colon resection, had colon cancer. Colon resection causes anemia?

Hello: My 86 year old mother had a colon resection 12 years ago for colon cancer. A recent C-scan indicates something is present in the wall of the colon that demands a colonoscopy. My question pertains to anemia. My mother has a very low blood count. She has no occult bleeding and her MCV seems mid range. Can a colon resection cause anemia?
Posted Thu, 3 May 2012 in Colon Cancer
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 41 minutes later
A colon resection involves removal of a part of gut which contributes to malabsorption syndrome. Although major part of iron gets absorbed in the proximal half of the intestines, the distal half also plays a major role in iron absorption.
At the age of 86, multiple organ ageing also affects the adequate absorption.
If her MCV is constantly low, it is best to start her on an intarvenous iron therapy after consulting with your physician.
I hope my answer and recommendations are adequate and helpful. Waiting for your further follow up queries if any.