Low back pain, periods coming closer, not done PAP smear. What is my risk for cervical cancer?

Hi I sent a question in earlier and got an answer pretty quickly. She did answer my question but I needed to add to it. I have not had a pap smear in five years and the one five years ago was normal. I have only been with one person my whole life and he is my husband now. I have one child and never taken birth control except the use of condoms every now and then with my husband. I am really nervous because my periods are coming closer together like every 24 days than the usual 28-30. This had been going on for few months. I also have been experiencing low back pain. My other question is what is my risk for cervical cancer? Oh I am 40 years old. I have never had spotting between periods. I had a transvsginal ultrasound by my family physician one to two months ago along with a pelvic ultrasound and abdominal ultrasound due to low back pain. Can you tell me what my risk is for me having cervical cancer and can any of these tests tell anything about the cervix and anything else?
Posted Sat, 25 Aug 2012 in Cervical and Ovarian Cancer
Answered by Dr. Minoo Bhagia 7 hours later

Thanks for writing to us

I don't think you are having pre-cancerous condition or carcinoma in situ.

In cancer cervix there is usually a history of contact bleeding or spotting.

As your pap's smear was normal five years back , you can get it repeated to be more sure.

There are vaccines these days like cervarix which can be given up to 45 yrs , in three divided doses , 0-1-6 months interval.

These are injected strictly under doctor's guidance and prescription.

As far as back pain is concerned that can be due to pelvic inflammatory disease , erosion cervix or due to calcium and Vit D deficiency.

As you are reaching 40 so you should increase milk intake as well as calcium and Vit D

Physiotherapy and yoga help a lot in the backache

Best wishes

Any further query is most welcome