Low back pain during pregnancy, low grade fever, shortness of breath, elevated blood pressure, unable to sleep

May 2013
I am 18 weeks pregnant and for the past several days i have been experiencing significant low back pain. At times it is very sharp on the right side only but the sharp pain comes and goes in waves, lasting just a short period of time each time. I have had a low grade fever, some shortness of breath and have noticed my blood pressure is elevated (today 150/100). The pain is so significant that I have been unable to sleep.
Posted Sun, 30 Sep 2012 in Back Pain
Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 2 hours later

Usually some amount of low back pain is common in pregnancy.
But as you are having high blood pressure, which is started early at 18 weeks of gestation, it should be considered seriously.
The possible causes for your symptoms are,
-Because of high blood pressure organ damage can occur.
This can lead to hepatic ischemia or distension of capsule of liver leading to right upper quadrant pain.
Pulmonary edema or acute Fever can also occur.
-These can occur as part of HELLP syndrome, but it is rare at this gestational age.

Don't worry these are possibilities only, but as these are serious conditions better to consult your doctor as early as possible and get investigated to rule out above conditions and to take treatment for high blood pressure.

Hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer your follow up queries. If you are satisfied with all my answer, please rate the answer after closing the discussion.