Low back pain, burning sensation when urinating. Taking Diflucan. Foul smell, vaginal itching. Any advice?

Hi -- I am a 24 year old woman. I was diagnosed with a severe UTI and yeast infection on Saturday night after suffering from major low back pain and a itching/burning sensation when I urinated. I was prescribed an anti-biotic for 10 days as well as 3 doses of Diflucan-- 2 right away, and then one after I am done taking the anti-biotics. I am taking the medication as instructed but am still feeling major back pain. I also woke up this morning and noticed yeast-like discharge, a foul smell and itching inside my vagina. I am very frustrated because I feel as though the anti-biotic is now making my yeast infection worse. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks!
Posted Sun, 16 Sep 2012 in Vaginal and Uterus Health
Answered by Dr. G.Srinivasan 1 hour later

Thanks for ur query. I went thru ur history in detail.
It looks like the treatment has failed, which is possible.

Few things come to my mind in making things better.

1. Muscle relaxants for backache. Pain is part of the infective process and should settle once the infection is eradicated.
2. Meeting a gyneclogist, take a vaginal swab to confirm the yeast name and the medicines it is likely to respond to.
3.She will also guide u regarding addition of vaginal suppositories.
4. Anbiotics may be stopped if a course of 5 days is over.

Get well soon, pls keep me posted on ur well being.