Low albumin level. What does it mean? Can I take accutane?

My serum albumin is 148.. what does this mean? Can i go on accutane ?
Posted Wed, 27 Jun 2012 in Liver and Gall Bladder
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 3 hours later
A serum albumin level of 148 is low for you. It is commonly seen in liver or kidney problem, low protein intake, recovery from surgery, malabsorption syndromes, burns, pregnancy.
The cause of low albumin levels need to be determined after a proper examination and investigations and specific treatment is then started.
Accutane efficacy is not affected by low serum albumin levels but a lower dose might be needed to produce the effect. You can consult your dermatologist for dosage regulations.
Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.
Follow-up: Low albumin level. What does it mean? Can I take accutane? 11 hours later
Thanks, what would be the normal serum albumin in the liver for someone my age?
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 21 minutes later
Thanks for writing again.
Normal range of human serum albumin in adults is 3.5 to 5 g/dL. Yours is on a lower side.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.