Low Vitamin D, IBS, dark circles, lack of energy. Taking Vitamin D3 tablets. History of arthritis, vitamin D deficiency. Treatment?

Pediatrician, Infectious Diseases
My 9 yr old son who has low vit d but takeous vitamin d3 1,000iu daily has very dark circles and is tired all the time has lack of interest in anything. . Took him to pediatrician because of ibs symptoms and she gave him a powdered laxative that i have stopped giving him because he couldnt stop going poop.. I am very worried.. He does have blood symptoms of hereditary arthritis and i also have low vitamine d. Is there something else going on with my son? He is skinny and tall, healthy looking other then the eyes and being tired and ibs please help me u am worried for him. . This does not seem normal.
Posted Tue, 8 May 2012 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 20 minutes later
Hello .
I understand your concern and anxiety for your sons health and appreciate your efforts as a vigilant parent.
First of all vitamin d deficiency itself may cause fatigue , tiredness due to resultant calcium imbalance but some other causes like anemia , any chronic bacterial infections or systemic illness need to be ruled out.
You can discuss it with your pediatrician and get him investigated for them like by getting basic blood investigations done eg. Complete blood counts, Esr,serum and ionic calcium, liver and renal profile.
Also he may benefit from a multivitamin supplement with zinc as per prescription of your doctor.
Since he has symptoms of IBS , you should make sure he has a balanced diet and avoids food allergens to which he has allergy , commonly peanuts, XXXXXXX fried food, coffee, eggs etc.
So kindly visit his treating doctor for a XXXXXXX discussion and appropriate management.

Hope I have answered your query.