Loud swishing water noise in left ear, terrible sensation when eyeballs are moved. Have nerve pain, depression. Suggestions ?

I had a bad bang on the head nearly four years ago and have been on Pregabalin and Gabapentin for nerve pain and also Venlafaxine for depression and slow release Oxycodone. I had a sivere stress attack in October last year and had a loud swishing water noise in my left ear and a terrible sensation when I moved my eyeballs. I was given Diazapam to settle it and it did, but for some reason it has just appeared again in the last week. It is horrible and I feel my balance is affected when I move my eyes. My doctor doesn't know what it is. I took two Diazapam along with my Oxycodone but it nealy blew my head off. I've had to stop the Pregabalin and Gabapentin because of bad side effects. Please help me if you can
Posted Thu, 12 Jul 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 10 hours later

A few important possibilities which can cause vertigo are:

1)     BPPV (benign paroxysmal positional vertigo) is caused by problems in the inner ear. Its symptoms are repeated episodes of positional vertigo which is a spinning sensation caused by changes in the position of the head.

2)     The second possibility is of Meniere’s disease in which dizziness/giddiness is also accompanied with hearing loss, roaring in ears and tinnitus or loud ringing noises in both the ears.

My suggestion would be to get an ENT examination done from an ENT specialist to rule out BPPV and Meniere’s disease. A CT head or MRI head can also be done.

Drugs like vertin and stemetil are commonly used for the treatment of vertigo but these should be used only after consulting an ENT surgeon.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.