Loud gurgling sound comes from stomach. Suffering with lazy bowel. Is it normal?

Sometimes my stomach makes a very loud gurgling sound when I breathe in and out if I've eaten or drank anything in the evening. I suffer with a lazy bowel, but I have only noticed it since I had my little girl a year ago. Is it normal?
Posted Mon, 13 Aug 2012 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 2 hours later

Thanks for the query

I would like to know little more about your present problem in order to come to a better conclusion

1. When was the last time you checked your thyroid function?
2. Do you have pain abdomen as well?
3. How often in a week do you pass stools? Do you feel constipated (difficulty in passing stools?

Please get back to me, I am awaiting your reply

Follow-up: Loud gurgling sound comes from stomach. Suffering with lazy bowel. Is it normal? 4 hours later
I take pro biotics and go to the toilet daily as long as I take these, have been seeing a gastroenterologist. My thyroid has been checked and is functioning ok. This gurgling noise only happens in my actual stomach not intestines and is in conjunction with breathing in and out after I've drank liquids, I think it's to do with my stomach valve. It is not painful, just unusual.
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 21 hours later

Thanks for the query

Some amount of gurgling sound will be there, it is called borborygmi. It is caused by the normal intestinal persistalsis (pushing the food forward).

However increased gurgling sound is seen in infections of the gastro intestinal tract. Especially in conditions like bacterial over growth syndrome, where bad bacteria is more than good bacteria, this also explains why your gastro enterologist has prescribed the pro biotics. I would recommend you to take a course of antiobiotics to tackle these. Ciprofloxacin with tinidazole combination would be ideal in your case. Please approach a physician for the same.

Please continue taking the probiotics, yoghurt is also an excellent pro biotic. You could add a cup of yoghurt to your diet and it would give the same result as the capsule.

I hope I have answered your query, I will be happy to answer any further ones

I wish you good health