Lost voice due to sore throat, uncontrollable cough. Antibiotics hasn't helped. Any advice ?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
On February 10th I started to get a sore throat. The next two days I had a sore throat, cough and fever. I also lost my voice completely, which has never happened before. I received a round of antibiotics, felt better for two days; then the sore throat and cough came back. I've had them both since then. So, it's been almost a month that I've been sick. I can still barely swallow and I wake up at night coughing uncontrollably, sometimes wretching.
I am otherwise a healthy, 36 year old female, currently breastfeeding. Any advice?
Posted Tue, 22 May 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 2 hours later
Persistent cough for last one month which improved after taking antibiotics is suggestive of a persistent infection in your pharynx.
It may be caused by either viral or bacterial infections.
Drink plenty of fluids throughout the day and use over-the-counter throat lozenges. Salt water gargle is also a good way to relieve a cough. In addition, take like Ibuprofen and Paracetamol (Acetaminophen) after consulting your general physician.

Sucking hard candies and ginger lemon tea and inhaling steam would also help in opening the airway congestion.

Also get a rapid strep test (to rule out streptococcal sore throat) and a throat swab done at your doctor’s office so that if it is bacterial Pharyngitis, you will need a course of antibiotics.

I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.