Lost taste to things. Everything tastes bland. Had rhubarb. How to get rid of this?

Question
the last few days I've lost the taste of things. every thing tastes bland...never happened before ..had rhubarb a few days before.. any conection? will it go away?
Posted Fri, 28 Jun 2013 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Omer 1 hour later
Hello

Rhubarb is actually a fruit with a stem , red coloured , used from ancient time to treat stomach burning sensation and constipation.

If you have taken it for these symptoms, they will improve.

But the use of rhubarb for more than 3-5 days can causes same side effects for which it is used like constipation and stomach pain as it has a toxin glycoside.

The most common cause of tasteless food is either GLOSSITIS or STOMACH BURNING known as gastritis in the age of 63 years with no other important diseases.

I would recommend taking multivitamin for glossitis and omeprazol+sucralfate for burning stomach pain, constipation, and you will start to feel the taste in a week

You can go to internist for the prescription.
I hope this explains your query. Let me know if you have more queries.