Lost significant weight, smoker, BP & pulse rate level. Concern?

Male age 65. Height 5'7" Weight 104. BP 98/50 Pulse rate 69. I have lost 26 lbs in the last 5 months. Smoker. This is not good, right?
Posted Thu, 12 Apr 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Radhika 49 minutes later

You have provided me with good information. However, as I believe the more information a person gives, the better is the doctor's reply, please do not mind in answering the following:

1. Since how long are you smoking and how many cigarretes per day?
2. Were you undergoing any weight loss program?
3. Did you have any illness or diarrhea during the past 5 months?
4. Do you have cough, chest pain, hoarseness of voice?

You are 65 yrs old, smoker and you have lost 26 lbs in 5 months. You do not seem to be on any medication. Your Blood pressure is 98/50 which is slightly in the lower range but nevertheless nothing to worry about. Pulse rate is fine.

If you were on any diet program, there is chances you could have lost that much weight. Also if you had any illness like fever or diarrhea again, there are chances to lose weight but 26 lbs is not possible.

If you are a smoking from a long time, and if it associated with cough and hoarseness of voice, then you will definitely need to get investigated for this. You will need to do a Chest X XXXXXXX and also need to be examined by a Physician.

I hope I have answered your query. Please accept my answer if you have no further queries.