Lost power to walk, liver and kidney have poor function, high sugar, body salt level low. Help

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Question
hi, good evening. my name is XXXXXXX and my mother who is 71 years of age is not able to walk any more, as she was admitted in the hospital because of high sugar, and body salt level had come down.
when in the hospital, doctor imformed us that the liver and kidney are also not funtioning properly because she was diabitic for a very long time. after the treatment of about 2 months, reports says that kidney and liver are now functioning better than before. but she has lost the will power for walking. she is now bedridden for last two months.
kindly help. i stay in chennai india.
regards XXXXXXX sujanani
Posted Sun, 23 Sep 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints

Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 8 hours later
The inability of your mother to walk seems to be related to her weakness and a decreased will power and is not likely to be related to any bones or joints related problem.
In addition to the proper and regular treatment which she is already getting, she needs to have a regular physiotherapy. You can arrange for physiotherapy sessions at home for her and gradually she is likely to regain her strength.
With the help of regular exercise schedule she is likely to recover in 4-6 weeks.
In addition to this, a healthy diet is also necessary along with plenty of fluids to maintain her strength.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Regards.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.

Follow-up: Lost power to walk, liver and kidney have poor function, high sugar, body salt level low. Help 10 hours later
thanks for your kind response. We have started the physiotherapy sessions at home, but somehow i am not seeing any improvements even after 10 days of physiotherapy sessions. at time she is complaining for body and beck pain, which i feel is because of whole day lying on bed. kindly suggest me the best physiotherapist in chennai, as i am going thru a very hard phase of life, i want to see my mother walking again she can do her own routine jobs, that is more than enough for me. I am a very tensed about her health and recovery. my mobile number is 0000. pls advise the best.
rgds
XXXXXXX

Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 5 hours later
Hello.
Thanks for writing again.
After remaining bed ridden for two months at her age, osteoporosis, decreased blood calcium and vitamin D 3 levels and muscle atrophy can lead to the problem in weight bearing or standing on her feet. It will take her time to show a response.
All the physiotherapists do not offer the services at home. You will have to search for a better one near your home after discussing with her orthopedician.
You can start giving her calcium and vitamin D 3 supplements for an early recovery.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.
Regards.