Lost feeling in one side of face, lost vision in the same eye following jaw surgery where titanium plate was inserted. Is this permanent damage?

Apr 2013

General Surgeon
I had jaw surgery 2 weeks ago, where a titanium plate was put in on my right side. Since the surgery I've lost feeling on the right side of my face, and cannot control or see very well out of my right eye. Is it possible this damage will stay, or should it improve?
Posted Tue, 30 Apr 2013 in Vision and Eye Disorders
Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 2 hours later
Hi and welcome to XXXXXXX Thank you for your querry.
I dont know the exact incision and procedure but loss of sensation is very possible after such surgery because branches of facial and trigeminal nerves pass thorugh mandibular area. Usually this is caused by postoperative oedema which presses nerves, and it should pull back after 6-8 and you can expect improvement.Except if there was some serious nerve damage during the surgery (ask your surgeon about it). In this case income is doubtful.
About your vision disorder, I dont see any relation between this and surgery. It can be caused by migraine and thyroid as you mentioned in your history. I suggest to do oculist work up.
Hope I have answered your query. If you have any further questions I will be happy to help"