Lost eye sight. Brain MRI showed lesions in the white matter. What treatment should be done?

My son has lost his eye sight in his left eye. They did and MRI and found a lesions in the white matter of his brain which they feel could be MS however, the lesion is not active at this time. It has been two months since he's lost his sight. They did mention retrobullbar neurosis as well. How long can someone loose their sight or what should be his next step?
Posted Fri, 19 Apr 2013 in Vision and Eye Disorders
Answered by Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain 4 hours later
Hi and thanks for the query,
The duration actually depends on the cause and the rapidity of institution of a specific therapy. Cases in which there is no obvious cause or in which the cause is multiple sclerosis often improve after two weeks, but the vision may, in most cases, never completely return to normal. Relapse might occur, and many people with retrobulbar neuritis eventually develop multiple sclerosis.
The followup of the child is very delicate and requires a coordinated followup between a neurologist and an ophthalmologist. Other tests to continually monitor or exclude multiple sclerosis is my advise, so appropriate therapy might be instituted if need be. A reevaluation by the ophthalmologist and a neurologist at this point in time, to draw up a management plan is the ideal thing to .
Booking an appointment with a neurologist and an ophthalmologist for management is my advice.
Best regards and wishing good health.