Lost consciousness, BP went down. Speech became slurry, headaches. Did I faint or is it TIA ?

I fainted on Monday and lost consciousness for just a few moments. My bp went down to 100/60 which is strNge for me as i normally have high bp and am on meds for that. After, I felt terrible and coud not stay awake. My speech was slurry as I was so incredibly tired. I also had an awful headache. I was taken to a and e who subsequently said I had fainted. Having now been to my doc, she said she thought I had had a Tia and has referred me to hospital - she then phoned me back to say I probably hadn't had a Tia but to get checked out anyway. How confused am I? Did I faint or have I had a Tia.
Posted Wed, 18 Jul 2012 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Ram Choudhary 23 minutes later
I can try to clear the confusion. The symptoms can be related to TIA but it is not the only one. We have various other reasons to rule out.
Actually a hypertensive person of your age can have that type of event mainly for three reasons-
1.Syncope- may be precipitated by suddenly getting up from a prolonged sitting or lying down position, antihypertensive medicines partcularly- metoprolol, thiazides, clonidine are the culprits.
2.Transient cardiac arrhythmias- Significant bradycardia, runs of VT of short time known as salvos.
3.TIA- Transient Ischemic Attack, in which there is a problem in blood supply to brain by small clot that get resolved rapidly by autolysis/dislodging and patients recovers fully within 24hrs.
If you are a diabetic on treatment then a Hypoglycemic episode is also a close differential diagnosis.
Though your physician assured you it would be good to undergo full evaluation- including CBC, RFT, Chest Xray, ECG and Holter monitoring, CT Scan Brain.
This work up is bare minimum requirement to clear the CONFUSION.
I hope that answered your query.
Follow-up: Lost consciousness, BP went down. Speech became slurry, headaches. Did I faint or is it TIA ? 1 hour later
Hi, my blood sugars are fine, I am not a diabetic and was sitting down having just eaten a small meal - my friend caught me so that I didn't end up on the floor. Any further clues?
Answered by Dr. Ram Choudhary 9 hours later
Hi welcome back,
Yes, then the possibilities are zeroed in, either a cardiac arrhythmia or a TIA,
And innocuous possibilities are out and the trouble can happen anytime again and patients of TIA may have cerebrovascular accident and can land up in more neurological disability.
So early identification and management of the problem is necessary.
Take Care!