Lost conscious and brain was scanned. Prescribed with Valprid. Slight headache and uneasiness. Is it a side effect?

Some years back I lost my consious for a few minutes, my brain was scanned ,nothing was found. My physician prescribed Valprid 200 CR, and advised me to take it regularly. I am taking it mornig and night daily. But nowadays I am having a slight head ache, and uneasiness. I am doubting whether it is side effect of Valprid , I am 67 years old. I am attacing my health reports , please guide
Posted Fri, 25 Oct 2013 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 2 hours later
Brief Answer: XXXXXXX doctor for change or treatment of side effect

Detailed Answer:
Hello sir and welcome.

Thank you for writing in.

This medication is prescribed to prevent epilepsy or convulsions, so your prescribing doctor might have suspected your loss consciousness to be due to either of the above mentioned conditions.

Both headaches and uneasiness are well documented side effects of the medication valprid-CR. For this reason, you could discuss the substitution of valprid-CR with your doctor, although this is a very good drug. Your doctor will then have to weight the benefits and side effects, to decide whether to continue with this particular medication and treat you for the side effects or shift to another medication. But, please do not discontinue the same by yourself as this can make you vulnerable to the condition being treated (i.e. convulsions, epilepsy, etc.).

I have also gone through your attached reports and you seem to have high cholesterol which will require correction, please consult your doctor regarding the same. Also, your ESR seems to be slightly elevated; this usually is an indication of inflammation somewhere in the body. Please discuss these reports with your doctor.

Please feel free to write back to me for any further clarifications, I would be more than happy to help you.

Best wishes.