Lost ability to taste. Dentist stated redness on palate of mouth. Having sinus also. Course of action?

7 days ago I lost a majority of my ability to taste; don't remember having this problem before. I went to my bi-yearly dentist visit 3 days ago; and he stated I had some redness on the upper hard palate of the mouth (which I was unaware of) and which he said he wanted to check again in two weeks. At this same time, I am suffering from my normal spring sinus/allergy/stuffy nose condition. What is my course of action, other then following up with the dentist?
Posted Wed, 22 May 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 1 hour later
Reading your history,I feel there are two important causes for loss of taste in you.
1st..poor dental hygiene resulting in local growth of bacteria and so resulting in loss of taste.This can also result in redness of roof of mouth.
2nd...allergic rhinitis and sinusitis can also result in loss of taste.
Do's for you..
Take proper care of oral hygiene.
Do gargles with warm saline.
Scrap your tongue regularly.
Take steam inhalation
Avoid cold drinks.
Take more of hot liquids.
May take some anti allergic tablet.
Use nasal decongestant,if your nose is blocked.
I hope you should be all right in next 7 to 10 days.
If you don't find any improvement,then you may consult an ENT specialist along with your dentist.
I hope it helps however you may revert to me for any further query.
Best of luck