Loss of hearing after an injury to ear while cleaning with a q-tip. Will this heal of its own?

My wife was cleaning her left ear with a q tip and accidentally hit her left hand.. She suddenly lost hearing in her left ear. There does not seem to be a great deal of pain involved. Will the injury heal itself? I had a similar problem years ago puncturing my eardrum with a XXXXXXX pin (don't ask!). From what I've seen on the internet, it seems like it should heal itself, but i wanted to check with as many sources as possible.
Posted Sun, 7 Apr 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 34 minutes later
HI, thanks for using healthcare magic

Rupture of the tympanic membrane (ear drum) is associated with hearing loss, in some persons, symptoms such as dizziness may also occur.

The perforation may be temporary (in most cases) or persistent, it depends on the size and location of the rupture.
The treatment of tympanic membrane rupture falls under 3 headings: (1) in persons with no history of repeated ear infections who are non swimmers, no treatment is needed, if the hearing loss is problematic , then a temporary hearing aid can be used.
In your wife's case, with no history of concurrent infection, spontaneous healing will most likely occur.

In other cases medical or sometimes surgical treatment may be needed.

It may take up to 2 months for the ear drum to heal.

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions