Loss of bladder control and muscle control, vomiting, shaking, temorary loss of sight, tachycardia. Was the drink spiked?

was my daughters drink spiked - vodka drink symptoms, loss of bladder control, loss of muscle control, vomiting, shaking, temporary loss of sight, shaking, tachycardic
Posted Thu, 26 Apr 2012 in Drug Abuse
Answered by Dr. Andrew Rynne MD 1 hour later
Hi there.

Thank you for posting your question with XXXXXXX I will do my best to help you.

The symptoms that you describe your daughter as having / had are certainly not typical of having consumed "spiked" alcohol. I wonder if she may have had an epileptic seizure.

You will need to get this sorted out soon. Perhaps a visit to an ER can be useful. She needs to have an EEG test. If she slept following this episode it would tend to confirm my suspicions here. If I have got this wrong and you actually have some evidence that her drink was spiked then please revert.

I hope that I have answered your questions fully and been of some help. If you have any more questions please contact me again anytime.

Dr Andrew Rynne.

Follow-up: Loss of bladder control and muscle control, vomiting, shaking, temorary loss of sight, tachycardia. Was the drink spiked? 41 minutes later
no it wasnt a sezuire, a stranger gave her vodka straight, the symptoms lasted for 4 hours, she also had a blood nose and blood or something red in her vomit, she kept going in and out of conciousness, she was repeating things continuously, however her speech was not slurred. She has no memory of events after the drink. She is 15 yrs old and only weighs 45kg. Are the symptoms consistant with alchol poisining, the ambulance office thought it may be the drug GHB
Answered by Dr. Andrew Rynne MD 41 minutes later
Alright; That makes things much clearer. Thank you.

Your daughter was given a bolus (large sudden dose) of raw alcohol. And bad and all as this was, it is better than worrying about possible epilepsy!

This sudden quick ingestion of alcohol would have given her an acute gastritis with the vomiting up of blood speckled material.

Her memory loss (amnesia) and repetitious talking are also consistent with, as you rightly say, alcohol poisoning.

Whether something like the 'date rape' drug Rohypnol was added to her drink could only be determined by blood tests taken within a few hours of the event. This would not be routinely done at most ER departments. Spiking of her drink then remains just a possibility rather than a probability.

Thanks again. I hope your daughter makes a speedy and full recovery from this very unpleasant experience.

Andrew Rynne MD