Loss of balance, headache, rapid eye movement, nausea, sore back. Is it only sinus or allergy? What can it be?

My 40 year old son was gurgling mouthwash this morning. Suddenly he felt a loss of balance, he had a headache and rapid eye movement and nausea. He took a hot shower and said that he began to feel better. Several hours later, he continues to have a frontal headache and feels a little lightheaded.

His girlfriend reports that this past Saturday, they worked outside putting up a small shed. His neck and lower back were sore later that evening. While taking a shower that evening, he experienced a strange sensation that caused him to sit in the bathtub and required assistance to get out of the shower.

My son has frequent headaches. He has been to see a doctor about this. His blood pressure is normal when taken at the doctor's office. His doctor does not seem to have a major concern regarding these headaches. He attributes them to sinus or allergy problems. According to the doctor my son is in good health. His headaches occur frequently. Several times a week if not daily. He just bears them and takes over the counter pain reliever and or sinus medication. This doesn't seem to provide much relief. He just bears the headache until it goes away. Our main concern now is the episode that he experienced this morning. the sudden feeling of lost of balance and rapid eye movement (side to side). He also said he heard a strange beep sound just during this episode.

I am wondering if he had this type of episode on Saturday while he was taking a shower. He says that he did not fall. He was found sitting in the bathtub and required assistance to get out of the tub. He attributes this to neck or back strain while working on the shed.

Your advice will be greatly appreciated.
Posted Tue, 22 May 2012 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 51 minutes later
Hello and thanks for query.
There can be many reasons for your symptoms and to arrive at particular diagnosis or narrow down the possible causes,I will have to ask for additional information from you.
Are you suffering from any problem like hypertension,diabetes or high cholesterol and taking any medication for those?
Did you have any change in your alertness?
Was there any confusion after the mouthwash?
Was there any difficulty in recognizing people or surrounding objects?
Was there any muscle weekness after that?
Was there any double vision?
Was there any lack of coordination or balance?
Are you suffering from any neck stiffness that has worsened over time?
Is there any numbness or abnormal sensations on shoulder or arms?

Waiting for your reply.
Thanks and good luck.