Losing weight, stomach is elevated and found a lump under ribcage. What do you recommend?

Hello. I have been recently losing weight and i have come to notice that the left part of my stomach is more elevated than the right. I also, while feeling my stomach directly bellow the left rib cage, discovered a little ball almost like a marble in shape but smaller. My father believes it is just a fat ball but I would rather not ignore it and ask an opinion.
Posted Tue, 26 Nov 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Praveen 54 minutes later
Brief Answer: Weight loss might not be due to the lump Detailed Answer: Hi. Thanks for writing to us on XXXXXXX Weight loss is significant or severe when it is >5% within 30 days and >10% within 180 days. Causes of unexplained weight loss include tuberculosis, hyperactive thyroid, addisons's disease , malabsorption syndromes or cancer. These have to be ruled out one by one by examination & relevant investigations. The lump which is seen on your stomach might be collection of fat (lipoma) or can be hernia. Both of them are painless and need a surgical treatment. I suggest you to XXXXXXX a surgeon for further management. Hope this helps. Do write to me if there are any queries. Take care.
Follow-up: Losing weight, stomach is elevated and found a lump under ribcage. What do you recommend? 21 minutes later
hello. when i mentioned weigbt loss i meanr o myself had been excersising to lose weigt and noticed the lump because my stomach had become flatter. but thank you for the answer I will contact my doctor.
Answered by Dr. Praveen 10 hours later
Brief Answer: The lump should mostly be a beningn one Detailed Answer: Hi, Thanks for sharing the information. Most probably the lump will be a benign one - it can be a lipoma (which is the most common lump seen) which is almost asymptomatic (without pain etc); but might need a surgical excision. Since weight loss was due to your work up I do not I think you can ignore the rest. Better get them ruled out under medical supervision. Keep us posted for further queries. Good day