Losing weight, bruising all over legs and eyes turning yellow. What does it indicate?

Addiction Medicine Specialist
I have been losing a lot of wight very fast. I have bruising all over my legs. my eyes are turning yellow and I cant eat without having to run to the restroom o
Posted Wed, 6 Nov 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Preeti Parakh 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Liver dysfunction

Detailed Answer:

Welcome to Healthcare Magic!

The symptoms that you have described are suggestive of a liver dysfunction. Even the bruising is due to liver dysfunction as liver is necessary for proper coagulation and platelet function. Nausea, loss of appetite and weight loss also indicate that the liver is not working properly. Yellowish discoloration of eyes is due to accumulation of bilirubin in the body as liver is unable to metabolise it. You may also be having yellowish discloration of skin and urine.

Please see a doctor and get your blood tested for liver function tests. Your doctor will also advise a complete blood count and tests to rule out infectious hepatitis. Till you get to see a doctor, avoid fatty foods and alcohol as they are bad for the liver.

Hope this helps you. Please feel free to ask if you need any clarifications.

Best wishes.

Dr Preeti Parakh
MD Psychiatry