Losing weight after doing exercise. Getting smelly urine. What could be the possible reason?

I am female, 41 years old and three months ago started lots of running and exercise. I have lost 14kgs (started at 83kgs/BMI 29, now 69kgs/BMI 24,). Lately I have found I either have very strong smelling urine or I have had a change in sense of smell. However the heightened sense of smell only seems to be with the urine so I am guessing it is a change in my urine's odour or perhaps a combination of the two. I have not had any other changes in my health or life other than the exercise and weightloss.
Posted Tue, 7 Aug 2012 in Weight & Lifestyle
Answered by Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar 32 minutes later

I cautiously appreciate you for the weight loss achieved.

Medical experts always advise a long term weight loss program with no more than 3 kg / month. Since your weight program was short and rigorous than expected we generally evaluate the person if there is imbalance in the physiology.

Along with the fat you might have lost some protein especially the muscle protein. Muscle break down can cause myoglobinuria (passes in the urine). There is a change in the appearance of the urine and the smell as well. There is high chance of nutritional deficiency as well. These changes are toxic to the kidney and heart. I do not mean to terrify you but my knowledge should ring caution bells. Excessive exercise can cause water imbalance presents with dehydration initially. Dehydration can show up in the urine as change in color and smell. It is all treatable.

Since you are not displaying any other symptom like extreme fatigue, fever, pain on urination you may be safe. However it is good to get a complete evaluation by the competent physician in your area. He will run some tests, BP check.

If you have further queries I am available to answer, else you may close the discussion and look for the doctor's appointment.