Losing lots of hair from scalp. What is the cause and remedy?

I m loosing head on my hair . Please let me know whether you are the right team.
Posted Mon, 15 Apr 2013 in Hair Loss
Answered by Dr. Bharat Chawda 15 hours later

Thank you for posting your query,

It seems you are losing lot of hair from the scalp & you are trying to find the exact cause and remedy for the same.I have been dealing with such patients with hair loss problem in men & women since last 13 years and I will try my best to help you out with your questions.Apart from medical therapies I also do surgical hair transplantation for those who are bald.

In any case I will try to discuss with you the cause and remedies ,if you have any further query you can write back to me in the same forum.

In females the most common cause of hair loss is –iron deficiency, hormonal imbalance, thyroid problem, stress, lack of sleep, familial ,or use of chemical on scalp ,procedures like perming or straightening etc. Other rare causes are zinc & copper deficiency . One has to find the exact cause of hair loss and treat.

In females there are various patterns of hair loss,which can be judged clinically by a dermatologist.If you are losing hair only from the front of the scalp then it is known as Androgenetic alopecia(AGA). In such a case you should get your hormonal level checked along with an ultra sound if necessary to rule out PCOD (polycystic ovarian disease).Such patients are usually obese & have irregular periods. This can be diagnosed by a ultrasound and simple blood tests.
The second most common type of hair loss seen in females is Telogen Effluvium (TE).In this we observe diffuse hair loss from all over the scalp .There is also thinning of hair in this pattern.
These patterns can be diagnosed by proper physical examination and blood tests.

Other simple test which we do are hair pull test and trichogram to diagnose which type of hair loss is there.

After proper diagnosis you can start with topical preparations like Minoxidil 2%-5% applied twice daily on scalp along with tab biotin once daily.Other hormonal medicines are also available if needed.These medicines can only be prescribed by a qualified dermatologist after proper examination .

Improve your diet with green leafy veg, fresh fruits, plenty of water, sprouts ,pulses, high protein diet,more of milk , ghee & dry fruits .
Avoid items with high sugar content like sweets & chocolates, Chinese foods, pizza & burgers . Good sleep also has a important role to play . In case nothing helps and if baldness sets in then we do hair transplantation for those needed.

I thank you for submitting your question. I hope you found my response to be helpful and informative. If you have any additional concerns I would be happy to address them.

Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.

Dr.Bharat chawda XXXXXXX specialist, Dermatology.