Losing hair density. How to increase the density?

Jun 2015

Problem Title:
Reduced Hair
Problem Statement:
It's been 2.5 years for me in IT industry & my hair density is reducing at a fast pace. If this continues, i may land up in baldness in the next few years.
What i need:
1. I know stress is playing a crucial role in it. But what apart from being calm & relax will help in such a situation?
2. Also can i get my lost hairs back.
3. Can the hair density be increased(to the extent it was earlier) or will i just have to sustain whatever amount of hair is left on my head :-)

Some points that will help you to give me better suggestions are as below:-
1. I don't have any medical history regarding the same problem.
2. Also my hairs don't fall.
3. My hairs are fully black.
4. I use ONLY Dabar Amla Hair Oil daily after taking bath & make NO use of other hair styling products such as hair gels, etc.
5. Also i am taking a healthy diet with 3 full meals a day alongwith snacks in between.

Please suggest a solution.

Posted Wed, 22 May 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Polash Sannigrahi 1 hour later

I have gone through your post in which you are concerned with reduction in your hair density & have also seen the relevant pics attached with your post.

Causes of hair loss/thinning of hair are:
1. Environmental factors
2. Stress
3. Deficiency of certain minerals, vitamins & amino acids in diet. e.g. Iron, zinc, Vit B complex, lysine.
4. Hormonal factors. e.g. Thyroxine, Testosterone.
5. Any incidence of surgery, shock, etc. (but this can be ruled out as you have not mentioned about any related significant medical history)

Management includes:
1. Treating the underlying cause
2. Avoidance of stress : other than staying calm & relax, you can also practice meditation & breathing exercises
3. Dietary modifications
4. Minoxidil solution to be applied locally to stimulate the hair follicles
5. Finasteride preparations that interferes with the production of male hormone linked to baldness
6. Multivitamin & multi mineral supplementation

But these medications have to be used regularly under the guidance of a Dermatologist, as hair loss tends to return on stoppage of these medications.

So, it will be better to consult a Dermatologist to find out the underlying cause & start treatment accordingly.
Those cases which do not respond to medical therapy, are managed by hair transplantation.

So, there is no need to worry.
Your hairs will grow back again.

Wishing you a Good Health.

Let me know if I need to clarify further.

Thanks & take care.