Losing erection before having sex. Is masturbation the reason or is a medical problem?

Question
My wife and I have been married almost 2 years. We normally have quick sex (lasts between 3-10 minutes) and neither of us have a problem with it. Well, today, I had something special planned. I was giving her a full-body massage before having sex (lasted about 5 minutes). The whole time during the massage, I had an erection, but when it came time to actually have the sexual intercourse, my penis went soft so that I could not go in. I am not taking any medications, and my wife and I do not use any birth control.
A similar thing happened on our wedding night. I thought it was just the excitement, but how embarrassing that I could not get an erection on the wedding night. But this time I had the erection, and then it fell right before having sex.
I used to masturbate occasionally as a teenager. Could that be the problem? Do I have a medical problem? To my knowledge I don't have blood pressure problems (though my blood pressure has been slightly low at times). I about 6 feet tall, and weight 180-190 pounds. I am getting worried that I might have something medically wrong with me. It is frustrating!
Posted Fri, 13 Apr 2012 in Erectile Dysfunction

Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 1 hour later
At a younger age people usually have more sex drive and their frequency of masturbation is maximum. You can indulge in this activity as long as it is pleasurable and you have the drive for it. It does not have any adverse effect on a normal married life if not done in excess.
It is not a trait of embarrassment to masturbate. It is just normal.
Loosing erection before starting the act just once or twice may be incidental. It does not necessarily indicate a problem.
Erectile functions are affected by multiple factors - both organic and psychological. Anxiety is found as the cause most often. De-stressing measures like exercise, particularly aerobic exercise is an effective treatment for such dysfunction.

Apart from this, good couple intimacy, quiting smoking (if any) is the necessary to reduce the problem. Medical treatment is needed if the problem is severe and often recurs.
You can consult a urologist if the problem persists after taking all the de stressing measures.
Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Regards.